Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

So I Think You Should Watch So You Think You Can Dance

So You Think You Can Dance is easily the most underrated competition reality show on television.  I talked about it briefly in one of the episodes of the podcast.  But after last night’s completely ridiculous episode, I have to talk about it again.  It pulls in less than half the ratings of something like American Idol or The Voice but easily tops those shows in greatness.

I know nothing about Dance.  I started watching this show 6 years ago because of Julie and we would talk on AOL instant messanger about the dancers during the show.  I would normally have no interest in any show about dancing but there is just something magnificent about the performances that these amazing individuals put on.  The first few weeks like most shows in this format are auditions (and probably my favorite weeks), it’s pretty much like every audition shows where you get to meet some of the contestants, they dance, and if they do a good job they get a ticket to VEGAS! But watching these tremendous individuals perform solos that they have been practicing  for years or even their entire lives is astonishing.  Of course, after they go to Vegas the competition gets whittled down to the Top 10 girls and Top 10 guys and they perform in pairs (with some group) numbers, choreographed by many of America’s top choreographers, to see who becomes America’s Favorite Dancer.

Ok, so to explain the clip.  Yesterday’s episode was the auditions in Atlanta, earlier in the show one of the members of Dragon House (it’s a dance troupe that shares an apartment) performed and did an awesome job, then later another member auditioned and did an ever better job, and then Glitch performed and this is what happened.

I don’t care how good somebody’s voice is on American Idol or The Voice.  I don’t care how much talent a person has on America’s Got Talent.   If you can find me any better audition than that one (or any performance on Dancing with the Stars), I will be impressed.

Needless to say, start watching So You Think You Can Dance.  Next week is I think the last week of auditions and it’s in Salt Lake City, which is usually the best of the auditions.  Please give Dance a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment